Anthony Gordon may be put off Chelsea after Ross Barkley treatment, says Trevor Sinclair

Anthony Gordon may be put off Chelsea after Ross Barkley treatment, says Trevor Sinclair

 

Anthony Gordon may be put off a move to Chelsea from Everton following the treatment of Ross Barkley, according to pundit Trevor Sinclair. Chelsea have terminated Barkley’s contract a year early to make room for a new signing before the transfer window closes on Thursday – with the 28- year-old reportedly earning £200k a week – after an uninspiring four years at the club.

Meanwhile, the Blues are prepared to pay around £60m for Gordon, who is reportedly open to joining Chelsea as he wants to play in the Champions League, despite the fact that he has scored just five goals in 64 games.

Former England international Sinclair thinks that the 21-year-old may now think twice about moving to Stamford Bridge after it did not work out for former Toffee Barkley in west London, who found his opportunities somewhat limited.

Quizzed on if Gordon should ‘watch this space’ following Barkley’s contract termination, Sinclair told TalkSPORT:

‘I think so. ‘If I was [Everton boss] Frank Lampard, I would be telling Anthony Gordon to stay. ‘We’ll give you a new contract, [you can] learn the trade, get that foundation of games under your belt for the next two or three years and then go for proper money.’

Sinclair added that Barkley was simply ‘not good enough’ to play at Chelsea, but did defend comparisons to Dele Alli after he moved from Everton to Besiktas. Barkley joined Chelsea from Everton in 2018 for £15m but failed to make a significant impact at Stamford Bridge, scoring 12 goals across 100 games.

The 28-year-old attacking midfielder, who took part in Chelsea’s pre-season tour last month, did not an appearance for the Blues this season. He spent the 2020-21 season out on loan at Aston Villa and returned to Chelsea last term, but only played 14 times all competitions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.