Brendan Rodgers reveals how Wesley Fofana has reacted to Chelsea approach with two bids rejected
Brendan Rodgers says Wesley Fofana is ‘just getting on with his work’ after Leicester City rejected two bids from Chelsea for the centre-half. Chelsea are determined to sign the 21-year-old this summer with Thomas Tuchel identifying him as an ideal addition to his backline.
The Blues have seen offers said to be worth £63million and £70million turned away by the Foxes, who are determined to keep hold of one of their most prized assets Fofana signed a new long-term deal at the King Power Stadium in March with Leicester said to be confident of keeping him at the club.
And while Chelsea are likely to test their resolve further with a third bid, Rodgers insists the club ‘are not looking to sell’. Asked about bids for Fofana at a press conference on Thursday, Rodgers said:
‘There was two, but nowhere near what the club would consider. ‘We’re not looking to sell. Naturally if there’s interest from other clubs, that is looked at by the club. He’s a top young defender and there are not too many around his age.’
Despite suggestions Fofana is keen to join Chelsea, Rodgers insisted the France Under-21 international is focused on life at Leicester.
‘Another year for him at least would be really important for his development, Rodgers said. ‘Wesley is quite calm on the situation. He is aware of the interest. He’s just getting on with his work.’
Fofana dropped a major hint over a move to Chelsea by deleting traces of Leicester City from his social media profiles last week. Fofana previously had ‘Professional player at Leicester City’ in his Twitter bio but fans noticed that it had been removed today to simply read ‘Professional player’.
Chelsea meanwhile have already signed left-back Marc Cucurella and centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly, who have arrived from Brighton and Napoli respectively this summer. Raheem Sterling has also joined from Manchester City with more new additions being sought in the final weeks of the transfer window.
Leicester are the only Premier League side not to have completed a signing this summer, having also lost Kasper Schmeichel with Youri Tielemans also expected to leave.