Chave announced their fifth summer signing of Brighton full-back Marc Cucurella in some style. Cucurella becomes the fifth summer signing in the men’s first team to follow on from Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly, Gabriel Slonina and Carney Chukwuemeka.
It is understood that a full package of £63million has been settled upon between the two clubs. The Seagulls had initially denied the £55m agreement that had been prematurely leaked out to the media. As a consequence of their anger at seeing the details released too slowly, the club released an initial club statement reading:
“CLUB STATEMENT: MARC CUCURELLA. Contrary to inaccurate reports from numerous media outlets this evening, no agreement has been reached with any club to sell Marc Cucurella.”
Fast forward a few days and the Blues have hit back in style with their own announcement. Their social media team mocked Brighton’s statement with one of their own:
‘CLUB STATEMENT: MARC CUCURELLA. Following reports from numerous media outlets this week, we can confirm an agreement has been reached with Brighton and Hove Albion for the signing of Marc Cucurella.’
Here is some of the best reaction to that announcement.
@CFCPys commented: ‘LOOOOOOOL love it.’
@Lunihannn tweeted: ‘OWN THE BRIGHTON ADMIN.’
@TweetChelseaUK said: ‘Unreal.’
@MalikOfori added: ‘let’s goooooo!!!!’
The 24-year-old has been in London from Friday to undergo medical tests and manager Thomas Tuchel updated the press in relation to where things stood regarding a potential derby in Merseyside for the former Getafe and Barcelona man.
“Well it’s not done yet. I don’t want to tell you I know nothing about it but the paperwork is in process and hopefully we can get it finished before noon and Marc is our player,” he said earlier in the day.
“Marc is a fantastic player, young player. Young, hungry, mobile and very intelligent player and can play in several positions in our system. That’s why we hope the transfer goes through. If it goes through, it opens some options like for Levi Colwill to find some more gametime elsewhere.”
That wasn’t the only noticeable thing about this transfer announcement. The second post showed Cucurella taking a selfie in the dressing room with a new kit in front of him which is the away one that had been rumoured around for a while.
Chelsea have obviously decided to drop two bombshells at once, so as well as Cucurella, the Blues finally have their turquoise and white away striped ready for action. The caption on this social post read: “It’s Real.”